Saturday, March 5, 2011

Jimmy's Grandparents

I love Jimmy's grandparents. I have only known them for about 7 years but I really feel like I have known them for much, much longer. I loved them instantly and they at least let me believe that the feelings are mutual :) The first time I ever met them Jimmy and I had just arrived at the bus station in their city and they were coming to pick us up. I saw them walking into the bus station holding hands. What's not to love?! In the 7 years that I have known them they have been a wonderful example of life-long love and commitment through hard times and good. They are devoted to God above all, and each other next. What's the secret to their marital bliss? Well I guess a lot of things, but mostly that they love God most and each other next like I already said! And it doesn't hurt that they play two games of Scrabble together each night (and boy, are they competitive!). There are so many things I could say....this could be a very long blog post. But, my eyes are already teary thinking about them, and I hadn't planned to write a long blog post so my brain is scrambled just thinking about them.

A couple of weeks ago they celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary. We were sad we couldn't go, but of course we celebrated with them from afar. Last week I received a letter from Jimmy's grandmother and in it she included a newspaper clipping with this poem on it, and it fits them so well I just had to blog about it. Not that they'll ever read the blog, but I have a feeling they'll hear about it :)

Candleglow by Mary E. Pettengill, Santa Barbara

Love is not only for the very young.
The new-lit candle burns so warm and bright
But, after it's been burning for awhile,
Settles to a glow of richer light.
And so with love. When two as we
Share plans, dream dreams, and weather storm,
Wet by spring's rain, and chilled by winter's wind,
Find the selfsame sunshine keeps us warm.
Thus we know that love grows richer with the years,
Mellowed and made stronger by each passing day.
Such is my deepening love for you,
A candle lighted long ago, seems lighted yesterday.

Now, by request, here are some pictures of the cute couple. The first one is of them with our older two boys in the summer of 2010, and the second one is the same summer and I added it because it captures Jimmy's grandmother perfectly with that beautiful smile and look of pure delight when with her family :)

2 comments:

Karlene said...

I love this poem Suzanne! Wow, I can't believe they've been married for 65 years! That's such an inspiration, and a blessing. Can you put a picture up of Jimmy's grandparents? Thanks : )

Suzanne said...

Karlene, your wish is my command! Pics posted. They are definitely an inspiration--what an understatement!