Yesterday was beautiful; today is even better. (And then there's 5 days of t-storms, rain, etc. in the forecast but I'm trying to live in the present.) I took the boys to the zoo yesterday and was just beside myself with joy. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a mild case of seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
Our first winter here I was looking forward to months of cold, snow, hot drinks, my afghan, and sweaters. We had lived in Southern California for four years and the monotony of weather was trying. I hated it when it was in the 80s in December. That's just wrong. I should need at least pants and a long-sleeved shirt at Thanksgiving. It should be cold by Christmas. But in Long Beach, you can go to the beach almost any day of the year. In February of our first winter in St. Louis, I remember the first signs of spring weather coming in February and I'd get irritated if the high was not below the 40s.
Now, I'm over it. Big time. I still love fall; it's my favorite season. I was a little excited to see snow this past Thanksgiving and I love a cold Christmas. By the middle of January, however, I'm ready to just need a sweater. By the beginning of March I was beginning to wonder if I was depressed. I am such an extrovert that these endless days of being inside were really starting to wear on me. (And yes, I have a lot of interaction with my children which some may think would satisfy my extroverted needs but I also have a need for adult interaction!)
Then at the zoo yesterday, I could smell the freshly cut grass. I was walking around with only a short-sleeved shirt on. Today the windows are open, clothes are drying on the deck, and I'm about to take the boys outside for what will likely be the whole day until dinner tonight. The difference in my mood is astonishing when the weather is better.
So do I think I really have SAD in the real, extreme sense? No, I think we're all affected by the weather, whatever your preference. But now I know that though my first winter here I longed to move to northern Canada, now I'm rethinking that desire!
1 comment:
the BFF and I were discussing the sadness that overcame me for many days in February. He suggested that maybe I had SAD and I asked if he really thought that and he said maybe, you should get some special lights. :) But I didn't get sad until February and there were other factors. I was actually sorry to see Standard Time go.
Post a Comment