Thursday, October 4, 2007

Some Cute Things

Let me start of by apologizing for not having any new pictures to post. Nathan mostly does the same stuff over and over so there aren't as many picture opportunities as he gets older. He's also very interested in the camera so unless I'm very careful he stops what he's doing to attack it. And then sometimes I'm just too late. A few minutes ago I was going to take a little video of him reading Each Peach Pear Plum while sitting under the table, but as soon as I got the camera he stood up (hitting his head on the table which caused a few minutes of distress) so no video. Anyway, I thought I'd share some cute things he does that aren't so easy to capture on camera. Instead of trying to come up with witty prose, I'll just put them in a numbered list. :)

1. No one is allowed to be barefoot for very long because if you are, he'll bring you shoes. He almost always brings us adult shoes to put on our feet and baby shoes to put on his feet, though he sometimes takes my shoes to Jimmy. He brings them one at a time, taps your foot with the shoe, and once you've put it on goes to get the match. He's never messed up (so far) and brought mis-matched shoes.

2. He likes to read out loud from books. Well, maybe he just likes to chatter which he does constantly, but when he's chattering and turning the pages of a book it looks like he's reading.

3. He waves when you say "bye bye" and this morning for the first time he said "bye bye" himself!

4. He has several words: duck (the definition for which he's narrowed down to birds, water, and occasionally books, but he always says "duck" if he's actually looking at a duck), daddy, uh-oh, bye-bye (as of this morning), and for many words that I say he is definitely trying to mimic the sound but doesn't get it right and doesn't say the words independently (for instance, on a number of occasions he's repeated "purple" and "bubble").

5. He is a very social baby and, like his parents, always wants to be around people. He's got no separation anxiety as long as there are other people around (leaving him in the nursery or in the care of others is never a problem). He therefore follows me around the apartment like a puppy. But hey--his parents follow each other from room to room so it's no big surprise. :)

6. Nathan really likes cell phones and wallets. He likes pushing buttons of all sorts and unloading everything so I think he likes those two things in particular because we generally don't let him have them. Well, if he gets hold of a cell phone and sees us coming, he turns, holds out his arms in front of him as far as he can and runs in the opposite direction yelling. Then we take it away and he as a meltdown for a couple of seconds until something else grabs his attention.

7. When we sit down to eat a meal and Jimmy and I put our hands out, he immediately grabs them because he knows it's time for the blessing.

All in all, he's a really cute kid. Hopefully he's still doing some of these cute things when you get to see him. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nathan is welcome to play with my cell phone anytime!! Sara/Sally