Saturday, February 23, 2008

Flowers and Bakersfield

We had a wonderful trip to Bakersfield (though I must say, the city itself is not my favorite vacation spot...we just like the people there) last weekend. Feb. 14 is Jimmy's grandfather's birthday and since Jimmy's dad and some other relatives were going to be up there that weekend, we figured we didn't need much more incentive to make the trip. Nathan loved seeing his Papa, of course, as well as his "great greats." That's what he calls his great grandparents. In a previous post, I think I added a picture of Nathan riding on great-grandma's walker. He gets to do this when we go to the dining hall for a meal. He's done this on the past four or so visits. This time, since he's talking all of the time, whenever he saw the walker he said "Ride! Ride! Great! Great!" because he wants great-grandma to push it. It's very cute. :) He also took her great-grandpa's Bible and asked her to read it to him. He must be quite the scholar since it's definitely not a children's Bible. It's also the first time that we were able to get a four-generation Brock men picture!I also have some new flowers out on the balcony. The others died. Once I knew they were well on their way, I decided to stop watering them, give away some of the flower pots, and plant some flowers that would be smaller (=less mess on the balcony) and easier to get rid of when it's time to move. I'm excited because I planted the narcissus (the taller, yellow flowers) bulbs 2 years ago and they didn't bloom last year (my mom says it's because it didn't get cold enough for the bulbs over the winter), but they're blooming now. I really like flowers. They make me happy, and seeing them flourish makes me even happier.

Oh, and I don't have a picture of this but Nathan's doing it right now so it reminded me of it. His newest trick is to make sure things are in their place. When we come home, we take off his shoes and he promptly (without being told) puts them, his socks, and his jacket in his room. He also just pulled out some things I'd bought from Target, unpacked them, and threw the packaging in the trash (all unprompted). I find it rather cute myself. :)

1 comment:

Ulie said...

Your flowers are beautiful! I especially like the hydrangeas- they smell so nice. :) You just motivated me to pick up some *hardy* flowers and see if I can keep them up on our little porch/balcony/thingy.
And it sounds like you've got a super-smart one on your hands, there! That's so cool how Nathan not only knows what to do with things, but actually DOES them without prompting. Way to go, little man! And mama, too!! :)